Professor, joint with Materials Science
Co-Director of the Northwestern Synchrotron Research Center
PhD, State University of New York at Albany, 1982
Fellow, American Physical Society
1994 B. E. Warren Diffraction Physics Award, American Crystallographic Association
Professor Bedzyk and his research group develop novel X-ray probes for atomic-scale characterization of surfaces, interfaces, ultra-thin-films and nanostructures. In addition to using an in-house X-ray lab, they make extensive use of synchrotron X-ray facilities, where there is greatly enhanced chemical and structural sensitivity for studying systems as dilute as one-hundredth of an atomic monolayer.
- “Atomic-Imaging of Oxide Supported Metallic Nanocrystals ”, Zhenxing Feng, Alexander Kazimirov, and Michael J. Bedzyk, ACS Nano 5, 9755-9760 (2011).
- “Elastic relaxation and correlation of local strain gradients with ferroelectric domains in (001) BiFeO3 nanostructures”,J.A. Klug, M.V. Holt, R.N. Premnath, A. Joshi-Imre,S. Hong, R.S. Katiyar, M.J. Bedzyk and O. Auciello, Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 052902-1-3 (2011).
- “Structural Analysis of PTCDA Monolayers on Epitaxial Graphene with Ultra-High Vacuum Scanning Tunneling Microscopy andHigh-Resolution X-Ray Reflectivity”, J. D. Emery, *Q. H. Wang, M. Zarrouati, P. Fenter, M. C. Hersam, and M. J. Bedzyk, Surf. Sci. 605, 1685-1693 (2011).
- “A Ferroelectric Oxide Made Directly on Silicon”, M.P. Warusawithana, C. Cen, C.R. Sleasman, J.C. Woicik, Y. Li, L.F. Kourkoutis, J.A. Klug, H. Li, P. Ryan, L.-P. Wang, M. Bedzyk, D.A. Muller, L.-Q. Chen, J. Levy, D.G. Schlom, Science 324, 367-370 (2009).
- “Polynucleotide Adsorption to Negatively Charged Surfaces in Divalent Salt Solutions”, H. Cheng, K. Zhang, J.A. Libera, M. Olvera De La Cruz and M.J. Bedzyk , Biophys. J. 90, 1164-1174 (2006).