John Evans Professor of Physics
PhD, Cornell University, 1975
Alfred P. Sloan Fellow
Yamada Science Foundation Fellow
Fellow, American Physical Society
Editor, Progress in Low-Temperature Physics
Regional Editor for North America for the New Journal of Physics
Ultralow Temperature Research Page | NMR Research Page
Halperin's CV (PDF, HTML)
William Halperin's research is focused on low-temperature physics (mainly liquid 3He and superconductivity), NMR studies of high-temperature superconductors, and fluid transport in porous media. In an exciting recent development, his research group has discovered how to produce impurity suppression of the thermodynamic transition of superfluid 3He, thus bringing together the practical aspects of fluid confinement in porous media and the basic science of superfluidity. Much of this research involves close cooperation and collaboration with Professor Sauls' theoretical group at Northwestern.
Halperin has been developing 17O NMR as a probe of the magnetic fluctuations associated with magnetic vortices in novel high-Tc superconductors. His research group was the first to take these methods to extremely high magnetic fields, above 40 Tesla, using special facilities at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida.
Halperin is developing acoustic cavity techniques to investigate collective excitations of the 3He superfluid order parameter and he is investigating gapless superfluidity using high-resolution heat capacity methods applied at very low temperatures. He is also studying heavy-fermion superconductivity using NMR on crystals of UPt3. Together with David Seidman of Northwestern's Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Halperin has constructed a facility for crystal growth of heavy-fermion compounds. Their crystals of UPt3 are of the highest quality ever produced. In the area of porous media and molecular diffusion, Halperin is using NMR in conjunction with extremely high-gradient magnetic fields to characterize pore structure and heterogeneous diffusion.
- Nanoparticle-Loaded Aerogels and Layered Aerogels Cast from Sol-Gel Mixtures, Jiwon Kim, Kideyuki Nakanishi, Johannes Pollanen, Stoyan Smoukov, William P. Halperin, and Bartosz A. Grzybowski, Small DOI: 10.1002/smll.201100605.
- 75As NMR of Ba(Fe0.93Co0.07)2As2 in high magnetic field, Sangwon Oh, A. M. Mounce, S. Mukhopadhyay, W. P. Halperin, A. B. Vorontsov, S. L. ko, P. C. Canfield, Y. Furukawa, A. P. Reyes, and P. L. Kuhns, Phys. Rev. B 83, 214501 (2011).
- Spin-density wave near the vortex cores in the high-temperature superconductor Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+?, A.M. Mounce, S. Oh, S. Mukhopadhyay, W.P. Halperin, A.P. Reyes, P.L. Kuhns, K. Fujita, M. Ishikado, S. Uchida, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 057003 (2011).
- Charge Induced Vortex Lattice Instability, A.M. Mounce, S. Oh, S. Mukhopadhyay, W.P. Halperin, A.P. Reyes, P.L. Kuhns, K. Fujita, M. Ishikado, S. Uchida, Nature Physics 7, 125 (2011).
- The Transition Between Real and Complex Superconducting Order Parameter Phases in UPt3, J.D. Strand, D.J. Bahr, D.J. Van Harlingen, J.P. Davis, W.J. Gannon, W.P. Halperin, Science, 328 (5984), 1368 (2010).
- Evidence for Complex Superconducting Order Parameter Symmetry in the Low Temperature Phase of UPt3 from Josephson Interferometry, J.D. Strand, D.J. Van Harlingen, J.B. Kycia, and W.P. Halperin, Phys. Rev. Lett., 103, 197002 (2009).
- J. P. Davis, J. Pollanen, H. Choi, J. A. Sauls, and W. P. Halperin
Discovery of a New Excited Pair State in Superfluid 3He
Nature Physics 4, 571-575 (2008)
- J. P. Davis, H. Choi, J. Pollanen, and W. P. Halperin
Magnetoacoustic Spectroscopy in Superfluid 3He-B
Physical Review Letters 100, 015301 (2008)
- Bo Chen and W. P. Halperin, et al.
Two-Dimensional Vortices in Superconductors
Nature Physics 3, 239 (2007)
- J. P. Davis, J. Pollanen, H. Choi, J. A. Sauls, W. P. Halperin, and A. B. Vorontsov
Anomalous Attenuation of Transverse Sound in 3He
Physical Review Letters, accepted, arXiv:0807.2221v1 (2008)
- Bo Chen, Sutirtha Mukhopadhyay, W. P. Halperin, Prasenjit Guptasarma, and D. G. Hinks
Intrinsic Impurity in the High Temperature Superconductor Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+d
Physical Review B 77, 052508 (2008)
- J. Pollanen, K. R. Shirer, S. Blinstein, J. P. Davis, H. Choi, T. M. Lippman, L. B. Lurio, and W. P. Halperin
Globally Anisotropic High Porosity Silica Aerogels
- Penetration Depth and Anisotropy of MgB2 from 11B NMR
Bo Chen, Pratim Sengupta, Eric E. Sigmund, and W. P. Halperin, et al.
New Journal of Physics 8, 274 (2006)
- V. F. Mitrovic, E. E. Sigmund, M. Eschrig, H. N. Bachman, W. P. Halperin, A. P. Reyes, P. Kuhns, and W. G. Moulton
Spatially Resolved Electronic Structure Inside and Outside the Vortex Core of a High Temperature Superconductor
Nature 413, 501 (2001)
- W. P. Halperin
Quantum Size Effects in Metallic Powders
Rev. Mod. Phys. 58, 533 (1986)